Sunday, June 7, 2009

Marizanne: 7 June 2009

I have to be honest:  The taxis on steroids kept me up most of last night, but bearing in mind that it was Saturday night - disco fever was probably in the air. Anja, my alarm, came to wake me. Lodie and Anja slept in tents inside their room. The previous night the mozzies got to them and it seems as if their innovation paid off this time around. Anja also told me that they heard a lion roaring…maybe they are coming down with something? Luckily it turns out that there is a zoo nearby. For now we all still seem to be sane. We went down and had the continental breakfast – which was redefined for me this morning. We had juice and 3 slices of toast. At breakfast we decided to switch hotels. The one where we stayed last night didn't have hot water or internet and it was very loud outside (steroid taxis). We just moved to the Global Hotel (09:00). I have a big room and bathroom and this is definitely as good as it is going to get on my stretch. We have a slow wireless internet connection which is better than nothing. I don't think it will be possible to upload photos any time soon…

As I'm typing this I'm sitting on the fourth floor of the hotel by the window. Before me I see half-built buildings, potholes, animals and building material all on the same semi-tarred, semi-dusted road. It's as if they started some good things, but didn't have the will (or money?) to finish. For example: In some hotels they have the equipment (the toilets and geysers), but there is no running water. It is as if the framework is laid out, but the essential part needed for everything to function is absent. Some centrally important services like water and sanitation will already improve the picture dramatically.

It is also quite interesting to see the work that I study in my course at university materialize in front of me. Ethiopia is probably the climax of the digital divide. If these people had proper telecommunications and cheap, reliable internet they could be so much better off. Just look at the potential India has with its outsourcing centers and IT-technologies. But as Lodie said rightly today – if the Ethiopians or Africans for that matter do not wish to change their lifestyle then nothing will happen.

We took some hours off to send emails and nap and at about 14:00 we went to drink Ethiopian coffee at a café near the hotel. Lodie and I had delicious Schwarzwälderkirshtorte and we all had coffee (espresso style). We called ourselves a taxi and went walking in town. It is incredible how dirty the streets are. Some people really live like"slumdogs". It is an eye-opener. The people are rather friendly. Most of them acknowledge and greet you. Others want money and some others just want to chat e.g. Dialogue between me and unknown Ethiopian man:

Man: Hi, you look like moviestar. Where you from?

Me: Haha, South Africa.

Man: I know your president..the white one…

Me: De Klerk?

Man: Yes, De Klurrrk. Oh and Mandela. Have you read Long Walk??

Me: To freedom? No, not yet.

Man: I have already. How you feeling about 2010?

Me: I'm excited.

He then followed us for about a kilometer before he probably realized we were on a mission of our own. I still find it enlightening that he was so clued up.

We arrived back at the hotel and sat on the stoep and quenched our thirst. It is quite hot here. We were lucky to join in a coffee ceremony. The beans are roasted on an open fire where after it is ground and mixed with hot water. It is served in small cups with half a ton of sugar. At the ceremony we were joined by a few nice people. Roy is from Dubai and sells software to banks. A TV-crew from Sudan TV arrived and they will be filming the AU conference that starts here tomorrow in Addis. Does anyone know who will be representing South Africa? Moni is an Ethiopian artist. She heartily invited us again to Addis for some traditional performances. We were a quite cosmopolitan group around those coffee cups. But I loved it!!! We talked about Afrikaans, our AOH-trip, the Sudanese clothing. We marketed AOH J and Lodie showed them his book. Everyone looked relaxed and interested.

After this kuiertjie we had dinner (lamb with either veggies or chips). The portions are really big. I also think the heat is starting to affect my appetite.

I moved to another room now, because my toilet did not want to flush. From where I'm now the signal strength is excellent! Oh yeah!

I just find it so hard to grasp the fact that I live in a clean area with a roof over my head and enough food. Some people here are sleeping on the pavement between the fleas and rubbish. Does it all come down to grace? Maybe perspective of the bigger picture and thankfulness are the only tools one actually needs in life…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment