Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Annami: Tuesday 26 May

Tuesday 26 May
A day has come and gone yet again.  We saw the last bit of tar just 20km from just outside Isiolo.  My stomach still in a knot after we have greeted the Dutch owner.

In an attempt to stay out of trouble I finished up my blog entries the night before.  I was sure nothing could go wrong.  I would be up in time (as I set my alarm for six o'clock), the early morning coffee would be in time and best of all my luggage and the tent would be packed up and ready to go at least an half an hour prior to the agreed time (8 o'clock).

All smug and charged up for the day ahead I went to boil the water.  Everything was going according to plan.  As I fiddled around in our "kitchen" Lodie enlightened me that the owner paid him an overnight visit.  The owner addressed him about the burning bathroom light and a leaking tap.  
Fact of the matter is, that could only have been me.  I caused the uproar.  

I felt like a jerk and could most rightly be regarded as one.  In South Africa it could have been considerate to leave this one light on.  To be truthful I did not notice the light.  Back at home a leaking tap is not that odd an occurrence and one very often overlook something like this.
Back at home I have enough.  I can not recall a hungry night, a thirsty one only made its appearance if I happened to be to lazy to get out of bed to go and fetch a glass of water.  And this could not be regarded as thirst.

The Dutch guy came around that morning.  His mood being noticeably better.  If one takes into account that this poor man had to see after a bathroom light and a leaking tap some random camper did not pay proper attention to one can only understand his late night, early morning madness.
He never mentioned the nightly incident as they conversed.  

As we listened suffering became more real.  Drought played cat and mouse with these people.  Animals are dying in these conditions.  During the previous rain season the clouds bypassed the region to the north.  

Later that day I made a friend.  His name was Jonathan.  He surprised me with his interest and knowledge.  He asked me for a book or a magazine.  Anything to read.  Yet again I felt like a jerk.  This was another thing I took for granted.

I am a born African, and the further I explore my continent by birth and heritage the more I realise I've never bothered to figure her out.

Mama' Africa fed me.  I pushed her away.  

A few kilometers onwards I longed for her touch.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment