Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Annami: Sunday 24 May

Sunday 24 May
After an early morning coffee I could finally orientate myself.   We were camping in an area that would probably resemble any South African suburban garden.  The only difference would be random monster vehicles surrounding us.  The occasional little tent also found its way though Jurassic Park (where overland trucks are the T-Rex's).  

Jurassic Park was none other than Jungle Junction.  It is Nairobi's refuge to happy campers and general overlanders.    

As Lodie just received his almost published book (Noord van Naboom) he spent a focused day just below his rooftop tent.  

On the other hand Anja and I decided to hit the road.  Actually it was the off-road.  I would rather not venture the smoothly tarred road.  I prefer myself (and for that matter Anja) alive.  Even on a Sunday this is not very likely if you choose the easy path in Nairobi.  Hell drivers finally got a face.  A "cleanwater" truck could be considered the meanest of them all.  

Anja lead the way to a shopping centre.  It is called the Junction.  

A taste of fun crossed our way as we found our friend Spiderman (manifested as a jumping castle) on the way to the entrance.   Locals befriended him as the jumped their way to happiness.  

We might as well have been in Sandton City in Johannesburg.  It was quite a bit smaller but the posh vibe did not deviate.  

Anja and I scooted around for some necessities until the heat finally got to us.  Anja treated me with a very cold (and always present) Coke.  Sy lavished on a cup of Masala Tea .  A glorious resemblance to Chai Tea.

After getting lost (and searching for noodles) in a hypermarket (similar to Pick 'n Pay hypermarket) we were once again on our way.  The temperature somehow managed to increase, making the combination food-liquid-shade a welcome mirage.  Dodging the racer-trucks we finally came to a stand still on the corner of our street.  

Earlier Lodie and Anja have been speaking about this thing called something that sound like "mice-colben".  I thought it to be one of those German words that I should rather consult my dictionary about.

I manage a certain level of third language German, but not enough to actually follow every thing they're talking about.  With times I calmly stop them in the commonly spoken English and kindly ask them to repeat whatever I am not sure about.  However, I decided this word is not worth the effort.

 On our way back to Jungle Junction nature took its course as Anja halted and asked me if I would like "maiskolben"?  I still heard "mice-colben"  (No Anja, I do not want to eat a mouse or even worse – its plural).  We couldn't manage German, English or Afrikaans.  We eventually resorted to sign language.  And the light flashed in front of me.  Or rather the smoke went up in flames.

Nairobi as such is quite foggy because the air is polluted.  Every now and again one passes a local sitting in front of an extra foggy heap. (I suppose one could call this smoke).  If you approach this you come to realise whoever is hogging that fog is actually busy with a mieliebraai (maize prepared on an open fire).                                                                                                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                                         
Just outside Jungle Junction we found a lady managing this enterprise.  This seems to be quite popular as many locals resort to this for a daily income.  It's also cheaper than anything else I have fest my eyes upon.  

Next to here a heap of abandoned maize leaves acquainted themselves with a few local flies.  As I leaned forward to take my braaied mielie she leaned over to package it in the fly-friendly leaves.  

Hunger got the best of me.  And it was scrumptious.  

Not even my own (I claim successful) tomato, onion, Thai-vegetable, coke, salt and sugar noodle dinner could outclass our flying friends' taste in cuisine.
 

1 comment: